Tuesday, September 1, 2009

In(dia) Rainbows

Music. The so-called "universal language". A never-ending list of genres create a never-ending list of emotions. Words accompanied by complementing sounds have the potential to have a far greater effect than words alone. Bob Dylan without his guitar, harmonica, or nasal twang would have been as effective as a soldier without his rifle.

A few days ago I headed to Mumbai to pick up some of my friends from the airport. On the exhausting five hour ride I was lucky enough to have my reliable travel partner, my iPod. Music is one of my greatest passions. Without it in my life, I have no idea what I would do. It was with the help of music that I met the most wonderful person in my life. I was listening to Radiohead's phenomenal album "In Rainbows", arguably their best in their equally phenomenal career. It wasn't until the sixth track, "Faust Arp", with its intricate manipulation of time, that I thought of something. Between the track changes of the songs I heard the beating of Bollywood music blasting out of the speakers of the bus. Never in India have I heard any Radiohead. Nor for that matter have I heard Coldplay, Green Day, Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, or any western music at all.

I thought about this for a while. Music is an extremely powerful force, inspiring emotion and containing the ability to connect people. But what effect music has on other people depends on the type of music as well as the language and lyrics. Though Radiohead's "In Rainbows" and the soundtrack to Om Shanti Om are both music, they are similar only in that respect. The difference in the style and lyrics of the music reflects on the difference in culture and the people who live in those respective areas of the world. But the lyrics of Radiohead are deep and profound, causing a feeling inside of me that I can only get from music. With Bollywood dominating the media and music scene of India, there will be no music like that of the bands I previously mentioned coming from India any time soon. Nor will the music of those bands catch on here in India, simply because it is not fit for this society. The genres of jazz, R&B, and rock have no real place in India. Electric guitars and drumsets aren't easy to find. Considering the amount music effects humans, the identities of the people in India are different from those in the west.

Without music, people wouldn't be able to ask themselves pivotal philosophical questions in life, like "Where is my mind?", "Hello, is there anybody in there?", and most importantly "Are we human, or are we dancers?". The music differences between the western world and India are enormous, and therefore many aspects of society are different as well. However, one thing remains true in all societies I have encountered: music, regardless of the form, is always present. From Radiohead to classical music, Gregorian Chant to African tribal songs, and Bollywood to European Trance, music is present in all societies. Thus, it can be said that humans have either an inherent need or desire to have ways to express themselves through music, its beats, its lyrics, and the dancing that comes along with it. Because of its universal presence, music is one of the most powerful tools in humanity, and in the end does help to connect people and cultures. In my case, to the point of love. So, in the words of the great philosopher Rihanna, "Please don't stop the music!"

No comments:

Post a Comment